30 things in 30 days for 30 years - DAY 29

Day 29 of the 30/30/30 challenge - Visit Fort Vancouver.

The eve before the big 3-0!!! I had plans on the 29th for quite some time, today was the day of Carol's wedding! I was so excited not only for one of my dearest friends pending nuptials but also because Carol once again helped me in my challenge by having her wedding in a location I had never visited.

Fort Vancouver to me is most known for its 4th of July celebrations. I have never gone but one 4th we spent with friends in the area and could see the fireworks from the comfort of their yard without all the headache of traffic.

Fort Vancouver was a 19th century fur trading outpost along the Columbia River that served as the headquarters of the Hudson's Bay Company. In 1849, the U.S. Army set up the Columbia Barracks (later renamed Vancouver Barracks) above the trading post. While the Hudson's Bay Company continued to operate out of Fort Vancouver, every year saw less and less fur trade and more and more settlers and U.S. Army warfare against the HBC's former customer base. Finally, on June 14, 1860, the Hudson's Bay Company abandoned Fort Vancouver and moved its operations north of the border. The U.S. Army immediately renamed the combined location Fort Columbia, changing the name again to Fort Vancouver. Today, a full-scale replica of the fort, with internal buildings, has been constructed and is open to the public as Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.

Carol's wedding was to be in one of the hangers, Pearson Air Museum, at the fort. While having a wedding in a hanger may seem unconventional to some I can say that aside from my own (only because I am bias) her wedding location was the best I had ever seen! The planes made for an amazing backdrop to her old Hollywood themed wedding! The fort its self is breathtaking, open to the public it offers walking trails, parks, stunning land bridges, museums, a reconstruction of a 19th century village, the air museum, and much much more. Go to fort's website for more information on upcoming events and attractions.

The ceremony was sweet and perfect and the reception was fun and full of love, all the same words I would use to describe Carol! I am honored she and her new husband, Lenny, allowed us to be part of their big day. Congratulations to Carol & Lenny ~ We love you!





















CLICK HERE TO GO TO DAY 30
- THE FINAL DAY!

No comments: