30 things in 30 days for 30 years - DAY 15

Day 15 of the 30/30/30 challenge - learn to knit.

My mom taught me to crochet a few years ago and to this day I have tried multiple times to make just a simple scarf and the end result is always the same - horrific! One end is always a good 1-2 inches shorter than the other and the sides are typically jagged and unappealing. Warm sure but who wants to wear something ugly wrapped around their neck? No one, that's who! While my mom enjoys knitting more than crocheting it always seemed much harder for my already severely underdeveloped abilities.

Day 14, the parade, resulted in a pretty bad back injury so day 15 had me held up in bed with ice and heating packs and a tummy stock full of Tylenol. The end of the 30/30/30 challenge looked to be upon us and I spiraled into a dark depression. The thought of not completing this once in a life time idea was devistating. Sure, I could do the 31/31/31 or the 35/35/35 but that just seemed ridiculous. No, there would be no mulligans for this mission! There was no other option but to "cowboy up"!

I didn't have a lot on my list that didn't involve some sort of movement so thinking of something was a little difficult, but this entire month so far has had a wing it feel to it so why stop now. Then I remembered that Mom had suggested a while back that I try knitting and so once again I brought out my life moto and said "fuck it, lets give it a try". I sent Doc to the store for knitting needles and yarn and gave him complete freedom to get whatever he wanted. He returned with a really nice set of bamboo needles and a dark green yarn. Simple and sweet, knowing him he put a lot of time and thought into the selection in hopes that he would get the right things for me. He is so sweet, though I am not sure where he gets the I idea that I would not be satisfied with his selection, I cannot think of a single time in our 7+ years together where I have ever told him to get whatever and then tell him he got the wrong thing.

You guessed it, YOUTUBE was the source of knowledge again today. I know I have already said this in past blogs but seriously people if you are not using youtube on a regular basis then you are wasting free knowledge! Yes, sometimes you have to hunt for a good tutorial that fits your learning style, or isnt created by a naked dancing in the rain hairy ass hippy, but they are there just waiting for you to watch and learn!!! Here are just a few of the skills I have learned with the sole assistance of youtube!
- cake decorating
- pie making
- various nail art techniques
- knitting
- cheese making
- butter making
- condiment making
- bridal shower favor crafts
- tissue puff ball decorations
- various cookie and cupcake recipes
- making an apron from dish towels

Yes, most of the above are food/craft related but that is what I am interested in. Doc has taken guitar lesson's online with youtube and there are thousands of other tutorials available on hundreds of different topics! So the next time you think to yourself "I would like to learn to.... " or "I wonder how hard it is to...." look it up on youtube!!!!

I found this super simple knitting tutorial series to be the best. It's designed to teach kids so it really dumbs it down and offers up great camera angles so you can really see what they are talking about, as a visual learner this made picking up this new craft extremely easy.

Knitting I found to be not only easier than crocheting but also more relaxing, which probably explains why my mom is an avid knitter and can bust out an extra long scarf in the time it takes to watch a movie. I on the other hand am still very new at the process and though I enjoy the knitting while laying in bed watching TV I am in no way the speed demon of my mother - not yet anyway. So here is my starting process, I have done a lot more since these pictures were taken and I will post a follow-up picture when I am done with my sweet little scarf.



Cast on


first few rows


getting the hang of things


CLICK HERE TO GO TO DAY 16

No comments: