30 things in 30 days for 30 years - DAY 30

Day 30 of the 30/30/30 challenge - Hot Air Balloon Ride!

Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me!!! Thank you everyone that has been following my challenges! The 30 days leading up to my 30th birthday have been some of the best of my life!!!

So how did I ring in turning 30 on the 30th day of this 30/30/30 challenge? In the best possible way - an early morning hot air balloon ride over the Willamette Valley.

The morning started ridiculously early, 3:45am!!! Getting a toddler up at 3:45am is no easy task, I tell you! She was not happy but we got up and out of the house by 4:15am met my mom in Oregon City at 4:45am and off we all went to the Aurora Airport to meet the crew of Portland Rose Hot Air Balloons. I was encouraged to help the setup process where they blow up the balloon and get everything ready. Mom, Doc, and Ana all watched on as the giant balloon filled quickly before us. The time was upon us. I had signed my life waiver and was ready to board this flying wicker basket and head off over Oz!

I was really really nervous, I got in and white knuckled the ropes and bars available for to hold on to for "safety" and "stability". UP UP AN AWAY!!!! Within seconds all nerves settled. The balloon was soo slow and soo smooth that it hardly felt like we were moving at all. By the time we got to 2300 feet I was so surprised by the subtle ride and the breathtaking views that I completely forgot that we were in an open basket simply floating in the air!!

Meanwhile Doc, Mom, and Ana were on "Balloon Hunt 2011" they followed us in the car all around Aurora, Canby, Lake Oswego, and areas of the Willamette Valley I had never seen before! The pilot took us up and down and up and down bouncing lightly around the sky.

A few days prior to my adventure Doc and I were talking about the upcoming flight and how it would compare to the take off and landing of a plane. We talked about flying in clouds and I had said I somewhat liked flying in the clouds because I felt like that was the closest I would ever come to touching a real cloud (no, fog is not a REAL cloud! Fog is dirty, like the slush on the side of a road after a nice white snow fall). Well, one best parts of the balloon trip for me was at one point we were completely engulfed in cloud! A REAL CLOUD! We could not see in front, behind, above, or below us!! Everything was white!! Naturally I reached my hand out and touched it! What did it feel like? LOL air!

Would I do it again? HELL YES!!!! I loved every minute of it. I really liked doing it alone on my 30th birthday, but I don't think I would want to go alone again, its to amazing not to share with someone - unless you are celebrating a milestone and need to reflect on your last 30 and your next 30+ then I highly recommend a solo trip!

Here are pictures taken both from me in the air and from Doc on the ground as he followed our flight!


Filling the balloon in the light of the early early morn!


Getting on board and ready for takeoff


We have liftoff!


Waving goodbye!!






Its actually a lot warmer up there than you would think because of this hot mama! So if you go, wear layers and a HAT! The burner gets pretty toasty.





Having SOOO much fun!!!


Looking up was so beautiful!


Enjoying the calm peacefulness


We got to close to a nest and this mama hawk got a little too close a few times!


The Willamette Valley is such a beautiful area


Don't look down!!!


The Willamette River






The pilot lowered the balloon as we went over the river




Then back up and then back down again, we got so low here I thought we were going to land in this field!



Taken by Doc during "Balloon Hunt 2011"



Suddenly we got into some serious cloud cover! Can you see the ground??


Can you see us?

Can you see us now? NUTS!!!


I am literally touching a cloud!!!








Time to start the landing process




Touch down!!!


Loading it up and heading back to the launch site for breakfast and champagne


Taken by the pilot on a camera hanging from the side of the balloon!


Thanks again to everyone reading and for all the birthday wishes and for all the help to everyone that made this challenge possible.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO DAY 1
- THE BEGINNING

3 comments:

Patti J.Cim said...

How long (time wise) was the flight M.?

Patti J.Cim said...

very cool.

Melissa said...

Hi Patti,

The flight in total was about 2 hours. If you are at all considering going up I would highly recommend it!! Its early morning for sure, but worth it!!