Cakes - my first tiered cake..

Cake two –

I was confident and wanted to bump it up a notch. I know I only had one cake under my belt so far but I guess I really thought I had found the hobby that had been alluding me for the past 10+ years and that I was going to take the bull by the reins and dive in head first! So, I started again this time using two 8” rounds and two 9” rounds. I baked up my cakes and let them cool. This time I decided to make the buttercream frosting from scratch, here is my recipe:

1 entire 1lb bag of powdered sugar
1 room temperature stick of butter
3 tablespoons of milk or water (using milk puts an expiration on the buttercream but it tastes a lot better)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Use a spoon to slowly mix all ingredients before introducing the electric mixer – otherwise you will have a powdered sugar explosion!
Mix with electric mixer (I use an old school hand held electric mixer) on med for 1-2 minutes then on high until very creamy without any lumps

I used pre-made fondant again for this test project. I am a little scared to make my fondant but am going to attempt it soon. I covered each tier in white and then got three different circular fondant cutters and cut out various shaped circles out of blue fondant and applied them randomly using water as a glue.

I layered the cakes using dowels in the bottom tier to support the top tier. I added a border using small dot like circles of blue fondant and finished off with some blue flowers on the top and side. And Ta Da.. cake two complete!!


No comments: